List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robb Kerr Date:November 25 2005 4:59pm
Subject:Seeking Opinions
View as plain text
I'm building a new clipart site. I need to have keyword searching. I'm
seeking opinions about table design. Here are my proposed options. If
anyone has any other suggestions, please make them.

Option One
Related tables. Table one (clipart pieces) contains ClipartID and
ClipartName fields. Table two (keywords) contains KeywordID, ClipartID and
Keyword fields. This option will create an incredibly large related table
(keywords) with each piece of clipart having tens of related fields in the
keyword table. But, searching ought to be fast.

Option Two
Single table. Table one (clipart pieces) contains ClipartID, ClipartName
and Keywords fields. The Keywords field would be a long text field that
would be searched with a full-text search. Searching and maintenance would
be easier but would searching be slowed down significantly?

Please provide any input you have and make any alternate suggestions.

Robb Kerr
Digital IGUANA
Thread
Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRhino25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsHal Vaughan25 Nov
  • Re: Seeking OpinionsRobb Kerr25 Nov
    • Re: Seeking OpinionsJohan26 Nov
      • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsSGreen28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
          • Re: Seeking Opinionssheeri kritzer28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsMartijn Tonies28 Nov
        • Re: Seeking OpinionsHarald Fuchs29 Nov