List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lowell Allen Date:November 24 2005 3:48am
Subject:4.1 password problem
View as plain text
I have a PHP application that stores member-access passwords in a char
column. When the passwords were stored, they were written to the
database using the PASSWORD() function. Each hashed password is 16
characters long. When a member logs in, the plain text password
submitted is run through the PASSWORD() function and compared to the
stored hash. After MySQL was upgraded to 4.1.11, the PASSWORD() function
now creates a 41 character hash, which of course doesn't match the 16
character hash. I understand it's possible to restart the MySQL server
with the --old-passwords option so that PASSWORD() will create the old
style short hash, but I'm looking for a way to convert the short hash
values into comparable long hash values. (I don't want to ask 1200+
registered users to reset their passwords.) Apparently the upgrade
procedure can successfully convert short-to-long hash values for MySQL
user passwords ("user" in the sense of a MySQL user accessing the
database itself), so surely there's a way to convert short hashed values
to long hashed values for use within a PHP application. Any practical
advice greatly appreciated.

--
Lowell Allen
Thread