List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:November 19 2005 3:43pm
Subject:Re: Creating a view from a join
View as plain text

> I have two tables with quite a few fields and I want to create a view
> into a limited join of the table.  I have a query like:
>
>    select * from person
>       inner join student on person.id=student.id
>       where person.dormant != 'Y';
>
> The select works fine but when I try to use MySQL Query Browser to
> create a view from that query, it says that there's a duplicate column,
> id.  Is there a way that I can say something like:
>
>    select * except student.id from ...

Yes, but you do it like this:

select person.id, person.othercolumn, student.othercolumn etc etc...
from ...

> Aside from explicitly listing all columns, is there an easy way to
> accomplish this view?

No.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Creating a view from a joincnelson19 Nov
  • Re: Creating a view from a joinMartijn Tonies19 Nov