List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:November 17 2005 6:51pm
Subject:Re: A bit of SQL help for a MySQL novice.
View as plain text
Rick

 >I need to read the first 4 positions in the phone number to determine
it's location.

 >My statement looks like this:
 >'Select mid(phone, 1,4) as phoneareacode from phonetable'

 >This works but if the number is entered as 1(203)-555-1212 the above
would return   "1(20" which is not >what I am looking for.

You need an unpunct() function. Not available in 4 or 5, easy to write
in 5.0 as a stored function, not hard to add as a 'C' udf in 4.1 if you
write 'C'. Since it's a common requirement, likely someone has written
it. Failing that, you may be stuck with the absurd
replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(@s,'(',''),')',''),'

PB

-----