List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nestor Date:November 4 2005 6:00pm
Subject:Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?
View as plain text
I have used both and I prefer php/mysql

:-)

On 11/4/05, Peter Brawley <peter.brawley@stripped> wrote:
> Marc,
>
>  >I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project
> involving many
>  >users and data so of course, Access is not an option anymore. Since
> it's a project requiring
>  >thousand of files and several applications all linked together, I
> can't create it once and change
>  >it later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and
> ASP/MSSQL? It's
>  >not a giant project but it might include around 20'000 members
> interacting daily through
>  >forums, blogs, messages etc...
>
> .NET/MySQL will be a _lot_ cheaper than .NET/MSSQL. Visual Studio will
> save you a lot of time, but even that is a cost consideration, there is
> a free .NET GUI too. If you go Windows and .NET, I'd strongly encourage
> you to use Connector/NET rather than Connector/ODBC. Assuming you are
> using such a direct connector rather than ODBC, there are small
> MySQL-MSSQL differences in how you work with the database in the .NET
> GUI, but these differences will not slow you down appreciably. If OS is
> a major issue for you, it's even possible now to develop in .NET/MySQL
> on Linux, but a main point of .NET is to insulate you from the OS, and
> IAC Windows is not hard to get comfortable with, even if you hate it as
> many do.
>
> PB
>
> -----
>
> Marc Pidoux wrote:
>
> > I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project
> > involving many users and data so of course, Access is not an option
> > anymore. Since it's a project requiring thousand of files and several
> > applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change it
> > later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and
> > ASP/MSSQL? It's not a giant project but it might include around 20'000
> > members interacting daily through forums, blogs, messages etc...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marc

PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Marc Pidoux4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Joerg Bruehe4 Nov
      • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
        • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Erich Beyrent4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?SGreen4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Pooly4 Nov
    • RE: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?J.R. Bullington4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter Brawley4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Nestor4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Subscriptions4 Nov
Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter J Milanese4 Nov