List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:November 4 2005 4:40pm
Subject:Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?
View as plain text
Marc,

 >I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project
involving many
 >users and data so of course, Access is not an option anymore. Since
it's a project requiring
 >thousand of files and several applications all linked together, I
can't create it once and change
 >it later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and
ASP/MSSQL? It's
 >not a giant project but it might include around 20'000 members
interacting daily through
 >forums, blogs, messages etc...

.NET/MySQL will be a _lot_ cheaper than .NET/MSSQL. Visual Studio will
save you a lot of time, but even that is a cost consideration, there is
a free .NET GUI too. If you go Windows and .NET, I'd strongly encourage
you to use Connector/NET rather than Connector/ODBC. Assuming you are
using such a direct connector rather than ODBC, there are small
MySQL-MSSQL differences in how you work with the database in the .NET
GUI, but these differences will not slow you down appreciably. If OS is
a major issue for you, it's even possible now to develop in .NET/MySQL
on Linux, but a main point of .NET is to insulate you from the OS, and
IAC Windows is not hard to get comfortable with, even if you hate it as
many do.

PB

-----

Marc Pidoux wrote:

> I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project
> involving many users and data so of course, Access is not an option
> anymore. Since it's a project requiring thousand of files and several
> applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change it
> later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and
> ASP/MSSQL? It's not a giant project but it might include around 20'000
> members interacting daily through forums, blogs, messages etc...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc

PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Marc Pidoux4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Joerg Bruehe4 Nov
      • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
        • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Erich Beyrent4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?SGreen4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Pooly4 Nov
    • RE: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?J.R. Bullington4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter Brawley4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Nestor4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Subscriptions4 Nov
Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter J Milanese4 Nov