List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:November 4 2005 2:35pm
Subject:Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?
View as plain text
Jigal van Hemert <jigal@stripped> wrote on 11/04/2005 03:09:58 AM:

> Marc Pidoux wrote:
> > I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project
> > involving many users and data so of course, Access is not an option
> > anymore. Since it's a project requiring thousand of files and several
> > applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change it

> > later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and
> > ASP/MSSQL? It's not a giant project but it might include around 20'000

> > members interacting daily through forums, blogs, messages etc...
>
> It's not an easy question to answer, Marc.
>
> Win/IIS/ASP/MSSQL might need a bit more hardware to run on compared to
> Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (aka LAMP). The license costs for a LAMP setup
> will probably be higher. Both will be able to do the job.
>
> What you have to include in your decision is what the company you work
> for is used to have. It's not easy and probably expensive too if they
> have to support another OS/webserver/scripting languag/database than
> they're used to.
> Another point of consideration is what you are used to. You mention
> years of experience in using ASP. If that means you have to learn
> PHP/MySQL from scratch then that will be very expensive also (counting
> the extra hours you have to spend to learn all the ins and outs of both
> PHP and MySQL).
>
> Kind regards, Jigal.

I agree, unless you have the time and resources to learn and support a
different OS and development environment stick within your comfort zone.

If you have been using ASP for any length of time then you are probably
used to using ODBC (or OLEDB) for data access. MySQL has an excellent ODBC
driver. If you are moving to ASP.NET there is also a .NET connector for
MySQL that also works very well. I am not suggesting that one platform is
in general better than the other, I am suggesting that with your
background, your best bet on a good project outcome will be to stay with
what you know and what your client can support (even if you are the
client).

I would heed Jigal's advice.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Marc Pidoux4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Joerg Bruehe4 Nov
      • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
        • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Erich Beyrent4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?SGreen4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Pooly4 Nov
    • RE: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?J.R. Bullington4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter Brawley4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Nestor4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Subscriptions4 Nov
Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter J Milanese4 Nov