List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Wells Date:November 4 2005 2:06pm
Subject:Mysql hidden processes
View as plain text
Hello folks,

When I arrived at work this morning I noticed an oh-so-fun email from
cron reporting that chkrootkit had found a hidden process.  After a good
hour of research (and some replaced binaries, of course) I came to the
conclusion that it was a false positive.

Although, while searching I did notice that I have nine processes hidden
from both ps and readdir, all mysql.  Example output follows:

/usr/lib/chkrootkit/chkproc -v -v

PID  1230(/proc/1230): not in readdir output
PID  1230: not in ps output
CWD  1230: /var/lib/mysql
EXE  1230: /usr/sbin/mysqld
... (report the same for 1231 - 1238)
You have     9 process hidden for readdir command
You have     9 process hidden for ps command

The command `cat /proc/1230/cmdline` outputs:

/usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql
--pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-locking --port=3306
--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

If I shut down mysqld chkproc reports nothing, and interestingly whether
or not mysqld running the main chkrootkit doesn't report the nine
processes hidden.

I did a bit of googling and looking at mysql.com, but I didn't see
anything indicating why these processes are hidden from ps and readdir.
  Does anyone have any insight?

mysqld  Ver 4.1.10 for pc-linux-gnu on i386 (Source distribution) on
Linux 2.6.9 SMP

Thanks,
--
Chris Wells