List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jigal van Hemert Date:November 4 2005 11:47am
Subject:Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?
View as plain text
Hi Joerg (and other list readers),

Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Win/IIS/ASP/MSSQL might need a bit more hardware to run on compared to
>> Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (aka LAMP). The license costs for a LAMP setup
>> will probably be higher. Both will be able to do the job.
>
>                    ^^^^^^
> No flame war intended, but:
> Is this a typo, or on which assumptions / figures do you base that?

Oooops, I meant to wright "lower". Thanks for correcting this.

> AFAIK, the whole LAMP setup is free-of-charge GPL software, unless the
> environment requires a commercial MySQL license.
> (Support agreements would be a different issue.)

I agree, and even with a license and a support agreement it will
probably be a lot cheaper than a comparable MS based setup (unless I
have to believe
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/facts/topics/tco.mspx which
likes me to believe that an MS-based setup is actually cheaper in the end).

Regards, Jigal.
Thread
PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Marc Pidoux4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Joerg Bruehe4 Nov
      • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
        • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Erich Beyrent4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?SGreen4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Pooly4 Nov
    • RE: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?J.R. Bullington4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter Brawley4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Nestor4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Subscriptions4 Nov
Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter J Milanese4 Nov