List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jigal van Hemert Date:November 4 2005 8:09am
Subject:Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?
View as plain text
Marc Pidoux wrote:
> I've been using ASP for years but I have to work on a bigger project
> involving many users and data so of course, Access is not an option
> anymore. Since it's a project requiring thousand of files and several
> applications all linked together, I can't create it once and change it
> later. Basically, which option is the best between PHP/MySQL and
> ASP/MSSQL? It's not a giant project but it might include around 20'000
> members interacting daily through forums, blogs, messages etc...

It's not an easy question to answer, Marc.

Win/IIS/ASP/MSSQL might need a bit more hardware to run on compared to
Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (aka LAMP). The license costs for a LAMP setup
will probably be higher. Both will be able to do the job.

What you have to include in your decision is what the company you work
for is used to have. It's not easy and probably expensive too if they
have to support another OS/webserver/scripting languag/database than
they're used to.
Another point of consideration is what you are used to. You mention
years of experience in using ASP. If that means you have to learn
PHP/MySQL from scratch then that will be very expensive also (counting
the extra hours you have to spend to learn all the ins and outs of both
PHP and MySQL).

Kind regards, Jigal.
Thread
PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Marc Pidoux4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Joerg Bruehe4 Nov
      • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Jigal van Hemert4 Nov
        • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Erich Beyrent4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?SGreen4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Pooly4 Nov
    • RE: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?J.R. Bullington4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter Brawley4 Nov
    • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Nestor4 Nov
  • Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Subscriptions4 Nov
Re: PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL?Peter J Milanese4 Nov