List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Web Thumper Date:April 15 1999 2:13pm
Subject:Re: RedHat 5.2
View as plain text
I am too just installing mySQL (although I am using RedHat 5.1), but I am having
problems accessing the the server after its installed.  Here is a post that I
sent off to comp.os.linux.misc a couple of days ago:

I am trying to get mySQL installed on Linux 5.1 and after the rpm install of
the server, client, and development packages when I try to issue the
"mysqladmin shutdown" command, I get the following error:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

What does this mean?  Where is it getting the localhost from, is this just the
default?  How can I change this...do I want to change this?  Did I miss
something when installing Linux (I am newbie to Linux...I've worked with UNIX for
over 6 years).

Not sure if this is the right news group for this question, but I did not see
a mySQL news group out there....and I did see some posts in this news group
regarding mySQL.

I forgot to mention in the above post that the mysqld daemon is up and running (3
processes) and I got no errors during rpm installation (from the console).

I have some mySQL docs and the first thing is says to do is make sure that you
can "mysqladmin shutdown" the daemon...ugh, I can't even do that at this point,
let along do the "mysql_install_db"...or "mysqladmin -u root password
'new-password'" stuff.

Thanks for any help to this newbie on getting mySQL installed AND running!

Scott Dinn

Darrell Shifflett wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Poul Christiansen wrote:
>
> > Dear Sirs,
> >
> > I have just subscribed to this list - since I'm trying to install MySQL on
> > my Linux Server. (RedHat 5.2)
> >

> > I've downloaded this file:
> >     http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-3.22/MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm
> >
> > Since i've also just started using Linux, i start X-windows and go into the
> > package manager.
> >
> > When i try to install the above software, it goes along but when it gets to
> > 100% of the installation it hangs. I can kill the process - but the
> > installation hangs, and is finished correctly.
> >
> > Does anybody know what to do about this? - What do i do?
> >
> Lets do this in console, okay. Do a rpm -q MySQL ..... do you see the
> package installed? If the package is there and it was stalling lets
> reinstall it. First, rpm -e MySQL-3.22.21-1
> Then, rpm -ivh MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm to install, you should not get
> errors. BTW, you need MySQL-client-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm as well or nothing
> will work. rpm -ivh MySQL-client-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm  as well.
> If the package was never installed in the first place when you did
> rpm -q MySQL, just install both those rpm's..... this will start the
> mysqld daemon and you ready to make stuff :P
>

> > Best regards
> >
> > Poul Christiansen - mailto:poul@stripped
> > AP Consult ApS - http://www.ap-consult.dk

Get Thumped Productions - San Jose, CA USA
  web: http://www.webthumper.com
email: thumper@stripped
  ICQ: 4133085 or 16263296
 fax: (408) 226-2750