List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:October 20 2005 6:20am
Subject:Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error Messages
View as plain text
> example,
> control.

> >> CHECK constraints won't work. If I have a parent table and need to
> >> maintain a multiplicity of 1 to 3 children in the child table, how is
> >> a CHECK going to stop somebody from deleting all rows in the child
> >> table?
> >
> > That depends on your check constraint implementation.
> >
> > Firebird, for example, allows you to reference other tables in SQL
> > statement in your CHECK constraints.
> >
> > So, you could do:
> >
> > exists( select count(*) as cnt from mychildtable
> > where parentid = mytable.parentid and cnt between 1 and 3)
>
> That doesn't help: check constraints are evaluated only on insert and
> update, not on delete. That's why you need an assertion.

Hmmm, would that be SQL standard? Or implementation specific?

From a logical point of view, I don't see why a "check constraint"
shouldn't be checking on all operations.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesLedina Hido19 Oct
  • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesMartijn Tonies19 Oct
    • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesLedina Hido19 Oct
    • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesJochem van Dieten19 Oct
  • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesMartijn Tonies19 Oct
    • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesJochem van Dieten19 Oct
      • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesLedina Hido19 Oct
  • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesMartijn Tonies20 Oct
    • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesJochem van Dieten20 Oct
  • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesMartijn Tonies20 Oct
  • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesHarald Fuchs20 Oct
    • Re: Checking Multiplicity Constraints and Retrieving Details from Error MessagesJochem van Dieten20 Oct