List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:October 20 2005 3:50am
Subject:Re: Spatial Extensions to make a Dealer Locator?
View as plain text
Brian

 >I'm in the midst of the age-old problem of finding the right SQL to
 >make a Dealer Locator by ZIP code. Like Steffan's posts from a
 >couple  weeks ago, I have the ZIP code data in one table with
 >latitudes and  longitudes, and the table of Dealers with ZIP codes
 >in a separate table.

For great circle distance given latitudes & longitudes you may find (as
we did) that the current MySQL implementation of OpenGIS is
simultaneously overkill (because of complexity) and underkill ( for
features & maturity). There are several reliable formulas for great
circle distance including a few quoted here.

PB