List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Dunning Date:October 20 2005 2:35am
Subject:Spatial Extensions to make a Dealer Locator?
View as plain text
I'm in the midst of the age-old problem of finding the right SQL to
make a Dealer Locator by ZIP code. Like Steffan's posts from a couple
weeks ago, I have the ZIP code data in one table with latitudes and
longitudes, and the table of Dealers with ZIP codes in a separate table.

While researching this I came across a reference to MySQL's Spatial
Extensions:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/spatial-extensions-in-mysql.html

This is WAY over my head. The reference I found said these extensions
are "immature". I'm not even exactly sure what an extension is: does
it mean that my ISP (PowWeb) probably doesn't have it installed?

Has anyone else who has tackled this application found the Spatial
Extensions to be useful, or is it better to stick with the basics and
go the route discussed in Steffan's recent thread?

- Brian
Thread
Spatial Extensions to make a Dealer Locator?Brian Dunning20 Oct
  • Re: Spatial Extensions to make a Dealer Locator?Peter Brawley20 Oct