List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeffrey Goldberg Date:October 19 2005 7:24pm
Subject:Turning tables on their side
View as plain text
I suspect that this is the wrong list for this kind of question, but
if someone could point me to appropriate sources, I would very much
appreciate it.

I am new to SQL but inherited project designed by someone who doesn't
seem answer his email anymore.

Essentially date were collected on the web using PHP inserting things
into a MySQL data base.  It took me time, but I now have a handle on
what is in which of the 15 tables involved.

Each response to each question by each respondent produced its own
record (row).  That is, I have something like

      respondent_id    question_id  answer_id  answer_text

       23               201          56         NULL
       23               202          20         NULL
       23               203           1         NULL
       23               204        NULL         Arlington
       24               201          52         NULL
       24               202          21         NULL
       24               203           0         NULL
       24               204        NULL         Richmond

and so on for other respondent_ids as well.

What I would like to get for my users is something that looks like

  respondent_id   q201             q202
q203               ...

   23             text-for-ans56   text-for-ans20  text-for-
answer1   ...
   24             text-for-ans52   text-for-ans21  text-for-
answer0   ...

So instead of having a record for each response, I'd like to have a
single record for each respondent that shows all of that respondents

For someone who knows SQL this should be easy.  I suspect that a

  group by respondent_id

clause will play a role, but I just don't see it.

As I said, references to books or sites that I should learn from
would also be welcome.

-j

Thread
Turning tables on their sideJeffrey Goldberg19 Oct
  • Re: Turning tables on their sideBrent Baisley19 Oct
    • Re: Turning tables on their sideJeffrey Goldberg19 Oct
    • Re: Turning tables on their sidesheeri kritzer19 Oct
      • Re: Turning tables on their sideJeffrey Goldberg20 Oct
RE: Turning tables on their sideJon Frisby19 Oct