List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:gioklio Date:October 19 2005 8:59am
Subject:Re: restore of mysqldump-ed data is corrupted
View as plain text
Gleb Paharenko wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Are you sure that you have the same problem (the same character set
> settings, same broken cyrillic characters and so on)? If not, please,
> provide as much info as you can. Delyan was using cyrillic symbols with
> latin1 encoding, which is not designed for this purposes.
> 4.1.5-gamma-log is a very old release. Check if the problem remains if
> you use mysqldump which is shipped with 4.1.14 distribution.

Let's go step by step:

- database server is the same MySQL 4.1.5-gamma
- 'All charset variables are set to default 'latin1', except
'character_set_system', which is utf8' is the same
- 'data it gets (from php) were in utf8' is the same
- 'Mysqldump is used without any options' is the same
- 'When importing back into the same database some characters (non
latin,cyrillic in fact) get broken' this not the 'same': I get many
other characters broken not only cyrillic. Users stores data in many
encodings: hebrew, thai, cyrillic, etc...

When you say:

 >Delyan was using cyrillic symbols with latin1 encoding, which is not
designed for this purposes.

what do you really mean? I cannot have different symbols (hebrew, thai,
cyrillic) in same table!? I wouldn't say so. This project started when
MySQL didn't have support for UTF-8 encoding and because of that all
tables are by default latin1.

 >4.1.5-gamma-log is a very old release

So what? The server is the same one on which backup was made.

 >Check if the problem remains if you use mysqldump which is shipped
with 4.1.14 distribution

Unfortunately I cannot do this.

What do you suggest me as solution, how I can get my data back? I cannot
believe that is not possible to restore data the same way it was stored.
The fact is that utf8 data was stored in latin1 tables and I want that
data back in same way.

Thread
restore of mysqldump-ed data is corruptedgioklio18 Oct
  • Re: restore of mysqldump-ed data is corruptedGleb Paharenko18 Oct
    • Re: restore of mysqldump-ed data is corruptedgioklio19 Oct
      • Re: restore of mysqldump-ed data is corruptedGleb Paharenko19 Oct
Re: restore of mysqldump-ed data is corruptedCoba21 Oct
  • Re: restore of mysqldump-ed data is corruptedGleb Paharenko22 Oct