List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert L Cochran Date:October 17 2005 3:00pm
Subject:Re: renaming the database
View as plain text
And, of course, you need to grant permissions for the new database name.

Bob

SGreen@stripped wrote:

>Robert L Cochran <cochranb@stripped> wrote on 10/17/2005 07:37:26 AM:
>

>>I think you can just rename the directory that that database lives in.
>>If you read the documentation for CREATE DATABASE in dev.mysql.com,
>>you'll see they discuss renaming the directory (although it does not
>>directly say this can be done to rename the database, but it comes
>>really close to that.) Based on the documentation the database name is
>>simply a directory name, no more and no less.
>>
>>Renaming tables has its own command syntax, you can look it up.
>>
>>Bob Cochran
>>

>>Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is there a command for renaming a MySQL database?
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>>
>>>Teddy
>>>

>The only way I have done it has been to create an empty database with the
>name I want. Then I used RENAME TABLE to "move" all of the tables into the
>new database. Sure it takes a lot of RENAME TABLE statements but it works.
>If these are InnoDB tables, all I am doing is moving metadata and that is
>FAST. For MyISAM or other file-based storage engines, it copies files from
>one folder to another. For some file systems, that is also just a metadata
>shift and will still be FAST. Others will require a physical move of the
>data from one location to another (good thing that those filesystems are
>becoming quite rare these days)
>
>I have a 2.1GB database with all InnoDB tables in it that I wanted to
>change the name of. It took me longer to write my RENAME TABLE script than
>it did to actually move the data.
>
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/rename-table.html
>
>Shawn Green
>Database Administrator
>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

Thread
renaming the databaseOctavian Rasnita16 Oct
  • Re: renaming the databaseJigal van Hemert17 Oct
  • Re: renaming the databaseOctavian Rasnita17 Oct
  • Re: renaming the databaseC.R. Vegelin17 Oct
    • Re: renaming the databaseJigal van Hemert17 Oct
  • Re: renaming the databaseRobert L Cochran17 Oct
    • Re: renaming the databaseSGreen17 Oct
      • Re: renaming the databaseRobert L Cochran17 Oct
        • Re: renaming the databaseSGreen17 Oct
          • Re: renaming the databasePeter Brawley17 Oct
      • Re: renaming the databasePeter Brawley17 Oct
  • Re: renaming the databaseGleb Paharenko17 Oct