List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 16 1999 1:34pm
Subject:snapshots?
View as plain text
>>>>> "Raul" == Raul Miller <raul@stripped> writes:

Raul> Hi,
Raul> I'm trying to figure out how to create a snapshot of a table for analysis.

Raul> The table I'm interested in is not too large -- about 10000 rows.
Raul> It takes a couple seconds for cp to copy the raw files.  However, if
Raul> I try to perform certain operations on the table, including operations
Raul> along the lines of:
Raul> 	insert into tmp select * from mytable;

Raul> [this is 3.22.27]

Do you have any indexes on temp?  If not, this shouldn't take that
long if the server isn't loaded.

Raul> then all normal activity against that table (which normally completes in
Raul> <0.00 seconds) gets locked out for a period of something like 15 minutes.

Regards,
Monty

Thread
snapshots?Raul Miller28 Oct