List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:m i l e s Date:October 10 2005 6:50pm
Subject:LASSO TIPS for MYSQL: 3.1 THREE LIL TOYS
View as plain text
    - Hi and Welcome to -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    LASSO TIPS FOR MYSQL: 3.0
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm your host, M i l e s.

First and foremost, a good place for you to start with Lasso is the
following 5 things:

The FIRST LASSO TIPS FOR NEWBIES
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=143312
The LAST LASSO TIPS FOR NEWBIES
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=153613
10 LASSO RESOURCES
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=143018
THE LASSO RESOURCES ADDENDUM
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=143417
OMNIPILOT RESOURCE LIST
-> http://www.omnipilot.com/Resources+for+Beginners.2225.lasso
    http://www.omnipilot.com/Tip+of+the+Week.1768.lasso
    http://www.omnipilot.com/Hosting+Providers.1744.lasso
    http://www.omnipilot.com/Frequently+Asked+Questions.1791.lasso

Secondly, Chickens DO come home to roost.  Eventually.  There will be
a LASSO SUMMIT!!! Yes that's right kiddies, its time to break out the
champagne and get your groove on with others of our kind, your Lasso
Brethren.  Praise be to all things Lasso.  The dates Feb 17 - 19th
2006, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.  By now you've seen the 'official'
announcement, so this is nothing new, but those of who haven't, go
here: http://www.lassosummit.com/  Grok to your hearts content.  Word
is that I, your magicmilesness, will be hosting a roundtable or two.

Thirdly, I will conducting newbie training for Lasso, on the 2 days
before Lasso Summit.  If you've enjoyed Lasso Tips for Newbies, then
the time is at hand to get it from the original Lasso Evangelist
himself...ME.  Dates: Feb 16 - 17, two FULL days of Lasso Training
for the Neophyte (the unwashed masses).  More details and the
official announcement later on this week, but let's keep this just
between you and I for the moment (and 10,000 of our closest
friends).  Seating will be limited.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            TODAYS TIP:
    T h r e e   L i l  T o y s
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

     Today's tip is actually 3 tiny tips that have been buggin me for
months that I frequently see others not taking advantage of, that you
can USE today.  No if's, and's, or but's about it.  So without
further adieu....on with the tips.

     PART ONE: ITERATION is the KEY!

     From time to time you will run across the need to pull values
out of a variable and reorder them as you see fit.  OR just get the
values out and use them as you see fit.  There are several ways to do
this with Lasso, however none more powerful than the ITERATE tag.
Some of you have seen this tag before and probably thought to
yourselves that it looks just a tad scary, and you know what, you'd
be right.  It is.  Its just downright intimidating!  Coming from a
newbie standpoint, it is.  However as with all things, it just needs
lil light shed on it to give it a lil clarity, so that perhaps you
won't shy away from the thing the next time you run across the need
to use it.

     In its basic form an [iterate] tag is very similar to a [loop]
or [while] statement.  They all do the same things, sort of.  Except
that a LOOP or WHILE statement doesn't actually allow you to use
itself as the comparitor statement, or in simpler parlance, to
compare itself against itself!  A loop will continue running a series
of operations to a certain number; a WHILE will continue doing the
same thing while a certain condition is true; but an ITERATE
statement, an iterate statement will go several steps further than
either and allow you to stop and examine the values that you feed it
and change it in process!  And that my Lasso Brethren is where the
rubber hits the road and why this lil toy is SOOOO amazingly powerful.

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        TO SEE THE REST OF THIS LASSO TIP
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      THE CURRENT LASSO TIP for MYSQL:

      http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=154176

      THE LAST 5 LASSO TIPS for MYSQL:

      LTƒM 3.0: The Lasso App ->> http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=153881
      LTƒM 2.9: The Login Routine ->> http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=153613
      LTƒM 2.8: SQL and Lasso (pt2) ->>  http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=149158
      LTƒM 2.7: SQL and Lasso (pt1) ->>  http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=148892
      LTƒM 2.6: LASSO STUDIO for ECLIPSE PT 2. ->>  http://
www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=148569
      LTƒM 2.5: LASSO STUDIO for ECLIPSE PT 1. ->>  http://
www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=148197

Spreadin' The Lasso Gospel!

M i l e s

        LASSO-MYSQL CONSULTANT & EVANGELIST FOR HIRE
   -don't know what 'lasso' is ? - http://www.omnipilot.com/
M i l e s                          miles@stripped
ToolboxEngine  - Custom CMS for everyone    (415) 686 - 6164
http://www.lassoconsultant.com/   AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles
"It seems to me that if there were any logic to our language,
'Trust' would be a four letter word."

- Joel Goodson -- 'Risky Business', 1983.

LASSO TIPS for MYSQL: 3.1 THREE LIL TOYSm i l e s10 Oct