List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeff Pflueger Date:October 4 2005 9:34pm
Subject:Re: Encryption for mySQL 3.23
View as plain text
ah hah.... you are righht about the installation....mysql -V shows 4.1
but the SHOW VARIABLES shows 3.something so something went wrong with
thhe update.

thanks for that.

Now if I encrypt using AES_ENCRYPT if I expect somebody else to decrypt
outside of mySQL I will need to provide the 'password' and the 128 bit
key...correct?

Where might I find the key so that I can send it along to them? any
suggestions on this?

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

SGreen@stripped wrote:

> Make sure your upgrade actually took:
>
> SHOW VARIABLES like 'ver%';
> +-------------------------+-----------------------+
> | Variable_name           | Value                 |
> +-------------------------+-----------------------+
> | version                 | 4.1.12-nt-log         |
> | version_comment         | Official MySQL binary |
> | version_compile_machine | ia32                  |
> | version_compile_os      | Win32                 |
> +-------------------------+-----------------------+
> 4 rows in set (0.02 sec)
>
> spquartz.local_chem>select AES_ENCRYPT('hello','password');
> +---------------------------------+
> | AES_ENCRYPT('hello','password') |
> +---------------------------------+
> | ≤h¶
> ╔▐nφ≈₧(Lα╡⌐p                |
> +---------------------------------+
> 1 row in set (0.11 sec)
>
> If you didn't upgrade completely, the old server is still going to be
> running and it won't recognize the new function. As you can see, it's
> working for me and I am on the same version. The manual says that
> AES_ENCRYPT was added as of 4.0.2 so make sure your server is better
> than that.
>
> Sorry to not be much help....
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
>

> Jeff Pflueger <jeff@stripped> wrote on 10/04/2005 04:12:39 PM:
>
> > Thank you for the help. The upgrade was a good suggestion, so I havve
> > completed it, but I am now having syntax problems....
> >
> > Why might I be getting the following message:
> >
> > ERROR 1064 (00000): You have an error in your SQL syntax near
> > '('hello','password')' at line 1
> >

> > When I type this in at the command line:
> >
> > SELECT AES_ENCRYPT('hello','password');
> >

> > Version info: mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.12, for redhat-linux-gnu
> > (i686) using readline 4.3
> >
> > Thanks for any help....
> >
> > SGreen@stripped wrote:

> to be

> using.

> to be

> > > I don't expect a de-encryptor to be able to disentagle encrypted data
> > > from the other file and record markers from outside of MySQL if you
> > > only send them the data file. If you do send them the datafile
> > > (as-is), then they will need a MySQL server to read the data. They
> > > will need to decrypt the data on the client-side.
> > >
> > > Did you mean to say that an EXTRACT of the data will be written to a
> > > text file and encrypted before being sent to your other location?
> That
> > > may be a better solution for transport security.
> > >
> > > As another point of design.... why are you attempting to use the old,
> > > decrepit 3.23 branch?  At least upgrade to the 4.1 branch. You gain
> > > encryption options and stability and lots of other improvements with
> > > the move to the newer version.
> > >
> > > Shawn Green
> > > Database Administrator
> > > Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

Thread
Encryption for mySQL 3.23Jeff Pflueger3 Oct
  • Re: Encryption for mySQL 3.23SGreen3 Oct
Re: Encryption for mySQL 3.23Jeff Pflueger4 Oct
  • Re: Encryption for mySQL 3.23Jeffrey Goldberg6 Oct