List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrick Date:October 3 2005 10:55pm
Subject:Re: Table names with periods
View as plain text
Shawn,
Your correct about my algorithm for IPv4, I was not paying attention (too
many things at once). It should have read:

 AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
   \        \       \        \
     \        \      \       DDD
       \       \      CCC x 256
         \      BBB x 256 x 256
           AAA x 256 x 256 x 256

However, the 'SELECT' statement was conceptual, not literal and did in fact
state that it would need the appropriate 'CREATE TABLE' options as well as
an 'INTO OUTFILE' clause.  This was left as an exercise for the user to
construct. It is not intended as Dynamic SQL.  It was intended to create a
file of SQL statements that could be executed 'ad hoc'.  It is also just one
of many ways to accomplish the goal. The literal and now complete 'SELECT'
with the same stated assumptions would look like this:

SELECT  "CREATE TABLE  ",REPLACE(ip_address,'.','_'), " ( ip CHAR (16),
last_access TIMESTAMP " INTO OUTFILE "/tmp/createtable.sql" FROM
IP_Addresses WHERE status ="ACTIVE"

This creates a file of SQL statements that can then be executed on the
command line or in a cron with the appropriate redirect.

I did, however, miss the INET_ATON() and INET_ATOA() functions added in
v3.23.30. Eliminating any need for a UDF.

Now that I have embarrased myself with a bad algorithm, defended my 'SELECT'
construction, and missed a very important pre-built function, I must say, I
do agree that superficially Chance's concept of creating a table for each IP
is not one I would personally embrace, but then again, I do not know what he
is trying to accomplish and he elected not to make the list privy to his
design.  He did state early on in the thread, that he wasn't looking for
help in db design, just a solution to the punctuation issue.

Pat...