List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Yannick Warnier Date:October 3 2005 10:58am
Subject:Re: Double indexes on one field
View as plain text
Le lundi 03 octobre 2005 à 12:29 +0200, Martijn Tonies a écrit :
> > Using PhpMyAdmin, I seldom get the warning message:
> > PRIMARY and INDEX keys should not both be set for column `ID`
> >
> > I understand its meaning, but I was wondering to what extent having a
> > field indexed AND being a primary key might slow down/speed up my
> > queries.
> >
> > Is that gonna take twice the time if I am searching on the ID field,
> > just because there are two indexes?
> >
> > I'd like to have a rough idea of how serioulsy I need to avoid these.
>
> Creating a PRIMARY KEY will automatically create an index.
>
> Why would you create a second index for that field?

I'm asking myself the same question. I am working on someone else's
database.

Thanks both,

Yannick

Thread
Double indexes on one fieldYannick Warnier3 Oct
  • Re: Double indexes on one fieldMartijn Tonies3 Oct
    • Re: Double indexes on one fieldYannick Warnier3 Oct
      • Re: Double indexes on one fieldBastian Balthazar Bux3 Oct
        • Re: Double indexes on one fieldYannick Warnier3 Oct
  • Re: Double indexes on one fieldAlec.Cawley3 Oct