List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Miller Date:April 15 1999 12:10pm
Subject:RE: (Wading straight in...) (Query Help)
View as plain text
> select email, id, name from table group by email;
>
> ... should do it... if u have duplicate email's then it takes first
> record with the email and shows id and name from this record...

You know, many people have mentioned using the GROUP BY clause for this
purpose to me, and I just thought they misunderstood my question.  Microsoft
Access requires that all fields in the SELECT clause be aggregate functions
or appear in the GROUP BY clause, so this doesn't work there.  I see now
that MySQL treats this differently (and much better, I might add).

Thanks to everyone who has helped.
Jay

Thread
Wading straight in...Paul Lawton15 Apr
  • Re: Wading straight in...kalle volkov15 Apr
    • RE: (Wading straight in...) (Query Help)Jay Miller15 Apr