List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrick Date:September 28 2005 7:18pm
Subject:Re: Table names with periods
View as plain text
Historically any form of punctuation, parameter delimiter, or filepath
delimiter in either a database name, field or column name, file or table
name would not be recommended; even if the RDBMS or File Handler allows it.

If you are able to stick to alphanumeric characters using underscores
characters if needed for clarity, you go a long way for portability across
various operating systems. Also, IPv4 addresses are readily converted to
single 32bit integers that minimize the need for dotted quartets.

Early versions of MySQL allowed periods.  This caused OS incompatibility
issues.  To my knowledge this was fixed prior to version 3 and you are no
longer allowed periods in database or table names.  This, in my thinking, is
a good thing by assuring greater portability and easier migration.

I hope this helps.

Pat...

patrick@stripped
CocoNet Corporation