List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hank Date:September 25 2005 10:19pm
Subject:Re: Circular Replication
View as plain text
> The long story short is we use the fact that MySQL has the ability to
> run the SQL thread and the IO thread of replication separately, and
> control them individually.

I'm fairly green with replication, but I have a simple cron job that
starts a PHP program that issues a "slave start", watches for the
"time behind master" to be zero seconds, then issues a "slave stop".
This repeats every 10 minutes (it takes about one minute to update 10
minutes of master data), so my slave is at most (worst case) 10
minutes behind the master.  This could be done every two hours or even
once per day.  I'll be setting up a second master to do this same
thing once per day to act as my daily backup.  Once the daily backup
completes replication, I can flush tables and backup the database
tables to the backup device for long term backups.

What are the differences between doing this and turning the SQL and IO
threads on spearetly? Just IMO, that seems like alot of manipulation
that's not really necessary, but it's possible I'm missing something.
Thread
Circular ReplicationJeff16 Sep
  • Re: Circular ReplicationDan Nelson16 Sep
    • RE: Circular ReplicationJeff16 Sep
      • Re: Circular ReplicationDevananda16 Sep
  • Re: Circular ReplicationStefan Kuhn16 Sep
    • Re: Circular ReplicationRaphaĆ«l 'SurcouF' Bordet27 Oct
      • Re: Circular ReplicationStefan Kuhn27 Oct
        • Re: Circular ReplicationJigal van Hemert27 Oct
          • Re: Circular ReplicationDevananda28 Oct
RE: Circular ReplicationJeff McKeon16 Sep
  • RE: Circular ReplicationJeff16 Sep
    • Re: Circular ReplicationDevananda16 Sep
      • Re: Circular ReplicationSid Lane19 Sep
        • Re: Circular ReplicationAlec.Cawley19 Sep
          • Re: Circular ReplicationSid Lane19 Sep
          • RE: Circular ReplicationJeff20 Sep
            • Re: Circular ReplicationDevananda20 Sep
    • Re: Circular ReplicationBruce Dembecki21 Sep
RE: Circular ReplicationJeff20 Sep
RE: Circular ReplicationJeff21 Sep
  • Re: Circular ReplicationBruce Dembecki22 Sep
    • Re: Circular ReplicationHank26 Sep
      • Re: Circular ReplicationHank26 Sep