List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeffrey Goldberg Date:September 25 2005 10:16pm
Subject:Documenting and visualizing a database
View as plain text
This is probably a FAQ, but I haven't been able to find the answer.

Briefly, I am looking for tools that will help me document a
database.  Visualization would be nice too, so that I could quickly
see the relations between tables.

Less briefly.  I am new to MySQL, SQL in general and databases.  I
have inherited a project that uses, Apache, PHP, and MySQL.  The
MySQL Press book, MySQL Tutorial has been extremely helpful.

My predecessor, who did know something about MySQL, left no
documentation.  As I am trying to figure out what is what and what
the relationships are between tables, I've got paper and pencil
pictures, and a text file full of notes.  But, mostly it is just an
understanding -- for the parts that I understand -- in my head.  Now
I can always redraw my paper and pencil stuff with something like
xfig, but it struck me that there is probably a standard, well
conventional, notation for this kind of thing and tools for the purpose.

I'm a bit of a geezer and my memory isn't as reliable as it used to
be.  Plus, I don't want any successor on this project to curse me
quiet as vehemently as I curse my predecessor.

So advice or pointers to advice would be very welcome.  As for tools,
I'd be looking for things that can run on Unix systems (GNU/Linux and/
or OS X).  If I've hit the wrong list, I sure someone will tell me
where to go.

Cheers,

-j

Thread
Documenting and visualizing a databaseJeffrey Goldberg26 Sep
  • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseRobert L Cochran26 Sep
    • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseJeffrey Goldberg26 Sep
      • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databasePeter Brawley26 Sep
        • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseDaniel Kasak26 Sep
          • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseRaz26 Sep
            • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseDaniel Kasak27 Sep
              • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseRaz27 Sep
          • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseRaz26 Sep
            • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseGraham Reeds4 Oct
          • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databasePeter Brawley26 Sep
  • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseolinux3 Oct
    • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseLigaya Turmelle3 Oct
      • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseKevin Liu3 Oct
        • Re: Documenting and visualizing a databaseEdward Vermillion4 Oct