List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Hayes Date:September 22 2005 9:18am
Subject:RE: good database design
View as plain text
This is an interesting subject area.

In a data warehousing environment, one tends to adopt table structures such
as snowflake layouts which lead to improved performance.

Createing a perfect normalised database design may well lead to performance
issues. The more joins you have, by far the worse the performance. You may
need to consider horizontal or vertical table splits. You may need to
consider replicating certain data in child tables to avoid joins.

I am not saying you do not need to carry out data analysis and gain a full
and first hand understanding of the data structures. It is just that when it
comes to online performance, sometimes you have to break the rules.