List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sujay Koduri Date:September 22 2005 8:58am
Subject:RE: good database design
View as plain text
My 2 cents..

Before you actually start worrying about the performance tuning of database
parameters or hardware required for the DB, you should make sure that you
have designed the database properly by taking care of all aspects  like
normalisation, denormalisation (??). If you don't take care of these logical
design aspects in the early stages properly, these things will prove you
very costly in the long run.

Th easy and recommended way to do it is

.Draw an E-R diagram
.Do any normalization.
.Identify proper datatypes for the table creation.
.Identify and add proper indexes.
.And now actually you should start worrying abt the DB Tuning and harware
requirements.

sujay