List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Hayes Date:September 22 2005 8:24am
Subject:RE: good database design
View as plain text
I disagree completely.

I prefer to have regard to the statement of requirement, which in this case
is a concern over performance. If following conventional design rules
creates performance issues, then performance related issues come first when
considering design.

In times long since gone by (I am showing my age here) client side message
response times were written into contracts. Design had to take into account
performance issues. With very high loaded web-sites as in this case, a
little time spent on lateral thinking can make a big difference and save
costs in the long run, and keeps customers happy.

Tim Hayes
MYdbPAL - www.it-map.com