List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:September 21 2005 6:20pm
Subject:Re: I forgot the admin password
View as plain text

>> > That will not work !! MySQL doesnt delete an existing database. No
>> > offense, but you should have known better as professional.
>> >
>> > "--skip-grant-tables" is what the original user wanted to know.
>>
>> Well, given that the OP only said " I installed it a few weeks ago
>> and now I want to start practicing ", it doesn't really matter...
>>
>> Just reinstall it and you're fresh to go, right?
>
>NO! depending on how the Luis installed MySQL in the first place (which
method was used), the "uninstaller" may not remove or >overwrite the
mysql.user table rendering this exercise fruitless as well as being
overkill. I understand you work with many >databases other than MySQL and
for some of them the only way to recover from a lost admin password would be
to >remove/replace/restore. However, in this case Valentin was correct.

Right -- perhaps I should have mentioned: uninstall and delete everything
:-)
Done that a couple of times myself...

I understand that Valentin is correct for the "normal" approach, especially
when you have a running server and/or databases.

I kinda figured, the fastest way (without having to search for an e-mail
list), would be just to reinstall the thing. MySQL - on Windows - has a
very nice install these days, kudos for that.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
I forgot the admin passwordLuis Garay21 Sep
  • Re: I forgot the admin passwordJohan Höök21 Sep
    • Re: I forgot the admin passwordArno Coetzee21 Sep
  • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies21 Sep
    • Re: I forgot the admin passwordvalentin_nils21 Sep
  • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies21 Sep
    • Re: I forgot the admin passwordSGreen21 Sep
      • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies21 Sep
        • Re: I forgot the admin passwordvalentin_nils22 Sep
          • Re: I forgot the admin passwordLuis Garay22 Sep
      • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies22 Sep
Re: I forgot the admin passwordvalentin_nils22 Sep