List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:September 21 2005 6:13pm
Subject:Re: I forgot the admin password
View as plain text
"Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@stripped> wrote on 09/21/2005 01:56:16 PM:

> > > Uninstall, reinstall.
> >
> > That will not work !! MySQL doesnt delete an existing database. No
> > offense, but you should have known better as professional.
> >
> > "--skip-grant-tables" is what the original user wanted to know.
>
> Well, given that the OP only said " I installed it a few weeks ago
> and now I want to start practicing ", it doesn't really matter...
>
> Just reinstall it and you're fresh to go, right?

NO! depending on how the Luis installed MySQL in the first place (which
method was used), the "uninstaller" may not remove or overwrite the
mysql.user table rendering this exercise fruitless as well as being
overkill. I understand you work with many databases other than MySQL and
for some of them the only way to recover from a lost admin password would
be to remove/replace/restore. However, in this case Valentin was correct.

> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL, Oracle & MS
SQL
> Server
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com
> Database development questions? Check the forum!
> http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Respectfully,

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
Thread
I forgot the admin passwordLuis Garay21 Sep
  • Re: I forgot the admin passwordJohan Höök21 Sep
    • Re: I forgot the admin passwordArno Coetzee21 Sep
  • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies21 Sep
    • Re: I forgot the admin passwordvalentin_nils21 Sep
  • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies21 Sep
    • Re: I forgot the admin passwordSGreen21 Sep
      • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies21 Sep
        • Re: I forgot the admin passwordvalentin_nils22 Sep
          • Re: I forgot the admin passwordLuis Garay22 Sep
      • Re: I forgot the admin passwordMartijn Tonies22 Sep
Re: I forgot the admin passwordvalentin_nils22 Sep