List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Josh Trutwin Date:September 16 2005 7:35pm
Subject:Re: Differences Between ORACLE SQL PLus and MYSQL SQL
View as plain text
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:32:23 -0400
SGreen@stripped wrote:

> You asked basically two questions:
>
> a) what are the differences between ORACLE SQL plus and MYSQL?

<snip>

> depends on how they are with MySQL already. One well-known point on
how
> MySQL and Oracle differ is in how to define a JOIN in a SQL
statement.
> MySQL works best if you use the explicit "[INNER|LEFT|RIGHT] JOIN
... ON
> ..." format. AFAIK, Oracle does not support this syntax.

All these questions are also dependant on which version of which
software you are using.  In Oracle 8i the above is certainly true, you
have to use the doofy (+) syntax for outer joins, etc.  In Oracle
10g though the more verbose syntax is supported:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/statements_10002.htm#sthref7225

You can do LEFT INNER, RIGHT INNER, LEFT OUTER, RIGHT OUTER, FULL
OUTER, etc. using the same syntax as MySQL.

I'm not sure but some versions of MySQL also had different results
from Oracle depending on how you defined the join condition in an
OUTER join.  So what version of MySQL you choose also has consequences
on portability (e.g. sub-queries, views, etc)

There are enough little differences between all DBMS's that make
porting a real challenge.  Bottom line, you're going to have to do a
LOT of research and testing.

I would seriously consider looking at a database abstraction layer.
In ColdFusion I have no idea what is available, but for PhP you'd want
to look at something like ADOBD (http://adodb.sourceforge.net) or
PDO/MDB/Metabase, etc.

Good luck,

Josh

Thread
Differences Between ORACLE SQL PLus and MYSQL SQLPhong Nguyen16 Sep
  • Re: Differences Between ORACLE SQL PLus and MYSQL SQLMartijn Tonies16 Sep
  • Re: Differences Between ORACLE SQL PLus and MYSQL SQLSGreen16 Sep
    • Re: Differences Between ORACLE SQL PLus and MYSQL SQLJosh Trutwin16 Sep