List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:pow Date:September 7 2005 10:15am
Subject:Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries.
View as plain text
Hi everyone, Im executing the following query:

SELECT *
FROM
table1
WHERE
table1.field1 = 'A' AND table1.field2 = 'B'
LIMIT 0,10

I also need to get the total record count for the above query, but
without the limit clause (limit is for pagination purposes)
Is there any way to extract this total record count without the need to
do another query?

Right now I am using another query to get the total record count:

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM
table1
WHERE
table1.field1 = 'A' AND table1.field2 = 'B'

In reality, my tables are very large, and involve joins, so executing
the query TWICE is taking its toll on the server.
Thanks!
Pow
Thread
Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries.pow7 Sep
  • Re: Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries.Eric McGrane7 Sep
  • Re: Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries.Brent Baisley7 Sep
  • Re: Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries.Gleb Paharenko7 Sep
  • Re: Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries.SGreen7 Sep
    • Re: Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries [sorry, left out onemajor piece of info]pow7 Sep
      • Re: Getting Record Count w/o doing 2 queries [sorry, left out one majorpiece of info]SGreen7 Sep