List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Paulson Date:September 6 2005 3:55pm
Subject:Newbie needs info!
View as plain text
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been using MySQL for some years now and never really did any
advance stuff in it.  I mainly do updates, deletes, and selects.  My
selects aren't even that complex as I don't have a very good
understanding of the join syntax and exactly what it does.  I was
wondering a few things.  First of all what is a good book for
beginners/intermediate level people?  I'd really like to learn more
complex query structure and how to optimize a database as a whole as
well as individual tables in the database (example what's the
difference between a primary key and just a regular key in a table?).
I'm also looking for something that can explain stored procedures and
why they are useful (I really don't have any clue about stored
procedures) as well as transactions, replication, and master/slave
databases.  Finally, I'd like to figure out the difference between each
table type (MyISM and InnoDB etc).

Thanks for any help or advice!
jay

Thread
Newbie needs info!Jay Paulson6 Sep
  • Re: Newbie needs info!Peter Brawley6 Sep
RE: Newbie needs info!John Trammell6 Sep
  • RE: Newbie needs info!leegold6 Sep