List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dave Date:September 6 2005 5:42am
Subject:How concerned should I be about Collation?
View as plain text
MySQL General List,

    Server specifications:
    MySQL 4.1.3-beta, phpMyAdmin 2.5.7-pl1, PHP 4.3.8

    My specifications:
    MySQL beginner, PHP intermediate, HTML and CSS advanced.

    The situation:
    I have a database of users for my web site, in which all the text
data that is inserted and obtained from MySQL via PHP is in UTF-8
encoding. My web host helped me install MySQL 4.1 and phpMyAdmin 2.5.7
because, from what I can see, they are a little more user friendly in
how they let a user view and manipulate UTF-8 text.

    I had a number of tables with user data that I created myself, and I
was sure to specify that for each, the "Collation" was in "utf_general_ci".

    Recently, I decided to add a forum for my users, using the PHP based
"Simple Machines Forum" available here:
    http://www.simplemachines.org/

    This added a bunch of new tables, in which the "Collation" was the
default setting of "latin1_swedish_ci".

    My next step is to take the user data I already have collected, and
merge it with the new forum users table, so that my existing users can
start use of the forum without having to re-enter all their information.

    The Questions:
    Before I start merging tables, I want to ensure that the whole
database is consistent in it's use of character sets. This means I want
to convert all the new tables to use "utf_general_ci" for collation,
storage, and any other charset related setting.
    What MySQL command can I use to globally convert all the tables and
field collation settings in the database to "utf_general_ci"?
    Are there other charset related settings that I should be concerned
about? If so, how would I configure them to keep the database consistent.

    What I've done so far:
    I did a bit of research on what collation is by going to this web site:
    http://grace.evergreen.edu/mysqlDoc/manual_Charset.html
    But further searching via Google did not turn up any instructions
for specific commands to make the changes I am looking for.

    Any assistance is much appreciated. Thank you.

Dave
Thread
How concerned should I be about Collation?Dave6 Sep
  • Re: How concerned should I be about Collation?Gleb Paharenko6 Sep
    • Re: How concerned should I be about Collation?Alexandre Quessy7 Sep