List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Darrell Shifflett Date:April 15 1999 8:50am
Subject:Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)
View as plain text
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, jonathan michaels wrote:

> > anything
> along
> > with
> > >
> > > The word "index" comes to mind.  It seems that the utility of any
> > > manual is about as good as its index is.  My opinion is that FAQ files
> > > exist due to two reasons: missing info in the manuals and hard to find
> > > info in the manuals.  Both problems can be solved by improving the
> > > manual, in particular the index.
> >
> > I disagree completely.  A FAQ and an index serve completely different
> > purposes.  For the newcomer to MySQL, the FAQ is of more utility than an

<SNIP>

> you are wrong .. a well constructed index is far better than
> any faq could even hope to be.
>
> it reiterate a faq and a index serve two diferent purposes, a
> newcommer to a subgect is far better served by a book with a
> well constructed index, having a good toc helps as well.
>
> a faq is for frequently asked questions, which may or maynot be
> of any use to a beginner. people whoi argue the line about
> faq's being usefull to newcommers have either no understanding
> of teh subgect matter at hand or have forgotten what its like
> to be a newcommer.

Jonathan, you are exactly correct! Me for one have been using MySQL
for a few months. I have learned more from the online index's than
i could by watching you guys ask questions about nothing i know
anything about IMHO.

> jonathan michaels
>
> byline .. if you don't like my spelling, thats your problem.

> Jonathan Michaels
> PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia
>
> ===========================================================<jon@stripped>

                                           \\|//
                            ___________ooO_(o"o)_OoO__________
Darrell Shifflett          |                (_)               |
Self Proposed              |   Sometimes the simplest things  |
Linux Freak & PERL Lover   |    in life are often the best    |
                           |                  - Diethyl       |
bluez@stripped         |___________oooO_____Oooo__________|
http://www.BLUEZnet.com                (  )/    ( ,)
                                        \_)     (_/

> posting. To request this thread, e-mail mysql-thread1884@stripped

How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
  • Re: Problem connecting to db in MySql from Java codeDavid Halsted15 Sep
Re: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • RE: How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
RE: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
    • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Jay Miller9 Apr
      • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
        • Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Thimble Smith9 Apr
Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)S. Whitmore10 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg10 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Michael Widenius11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPeter F. Brown11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)kalle volkov11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Steve Edberg11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
        • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels12 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois12 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Isabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualRichard Reina13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Vivek Khera14 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Micheal Mc Evoy13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp14 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)jonathan michaels15 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Darrell Shifflett15 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg12 Apr
  • More about my FAQ...S. Whitmore13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manualluuk13 Apr