List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Callum McGillivray Date:August 29 2005 8:58am
Subject:mySQL Performance Problems - Help !!
View as plain text
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the list, so please be kind :)

I'm having serious problems with our core mysql server.

We are running a Dell Poweredge 2850 with dual Xeon 3.0 processors, RAID
5 and 1Gb memory.

There are 3 main databases running on this machine, one is a freeradius
database, one is for vpopmail and the other is for cacti (MRTG based tool).

At the moment, we find the suddenly, our mail server or cacti server
will establish several hundred connections to the database that just
seem to be sit in an "unauthenticated" state.

E.G.
| 6452 | unauthenticated user | xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:40923     | NULL
| Connect | NULL | login | NULL             |
| 6453 | unauthenticated user | xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:40924     | NULL
| Connect | NULL | login | NULL             |

The server starts dragging it's heals and mail and cacti virtually stop
altogether.  There does not seem to be any unusual CPU / I/O or memory
usage when this happens.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here ?

I'm more than happy to provide any configuration information that is
required - but this is killing us and I need to know what is going on.

We have run this server for several years (recently we upgraded the
hardware without problems) and we have never experienced anything like this.

I am at my wits end and not having had any formal training in mySQL
servers, I simply don't know what I should be looking at next.

Please - if anyone can give me any insight at all on this it would be
MOST appreciated.

Warm regards,

Callum
Thread
mySQL Performance Problems - Help !!Callum McGillivray29 Aug
  • Re: mySQL Performance Problems - Help !!Xiaodong Deng29 Aug
  • Re: mySQL Performance Problems - Help !!Brent Baisley29 Aug