List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Benjamin Scherrey Date:April 15 1999 7:48am
Subject:Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.
View as plain text
Seperately free'ing the MYSQL structure, as you suggested, does indeed
eliminate the memory leak. Unfortunately the manual never mentions the use of
free for a structure the library allocates. In fact, in the documentation of
mysql_init(), mysql_close() is described as the mechanism to free up this
memory. Only thing worse than no documentation is wrong documentation! :-(

Still it's weird that test1() never returns. Must be an infinite loop cause it
just sits there eating lots of cpu cycles. Of course, now that we know
mysql_close() isn't the answer to freeing memory I think I can work around this
potential occurance.

    thanx & later,

        Ben Scherrey

Mike Machado wrote:

> you should try calling free(mysql) at the end of each connection and see if
> that works.
>
> Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
>
> > I'm getting some unusual behavior out of the mysql client apis. Try the
> > following:
> >
> > // test1 results in your code never returning.
> > void test1( void )
> > {
> >     MYSQL* mysql = mysql_init( NULL );
> >
> >     mysql.close( mysql );
> > };

Thread
Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
  • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
  • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
  • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
  • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
    • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Michael Widenius15 Apr
  • Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Michael Widenius15 Apr
  • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Benjamin Scherrey15 Apr
    • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Michael Widenius16 Apr
      • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api..16 Apr
        • Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Michael Widenius17 Apr
Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Fred Lindberg15 Apr
Re: Memory leaking like a sieve in mysql client api.Fred Lindberg15 Apr