List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From: douglass_davis Date:August 24 2005 11:51pm
Subject:Re: Treating Two Fields Like One
View as plain text

David Blomstrom wrote:

>--- douglass_davis@stripped wrote:
>
>---------------------------------
>
>In my opinion:
>
>The easiest thing for you to do right now would be  a
>table like
>
>ID (primary key) NAME PARENTID
>
>You don't need PARENT, because you have the PARENTID,
>you can always retrieve parent.   Although... i still
>think it would have been simpler to do separate tables
>for each taxonomic level, and this single table design
>may cause problems down the road if you start adding
>more fields... but anyway.
>
>Keep it simple.  One ID is all you need to identify
>any row.   As far as the URL, you could use the scheme
>i gave earlier for the URLs (if you can absolutely
>guarantee 100% every NAME-PARENT combination will be
>unique), but it would be more complicated PHP code and
>more complicated queries, and links would break when
>spellings changed.   Just use the ID in the URL, it's
>simple.
>
>If you add or delete rows, or change spelling, the
>keys stay the same,  primary keys don't change.  Just
>make sure you don't delete anything's parent and
>everything will be just fine.
>
>* * * * *
>
>OK, thanks. I'll give that a try. I'll probably try to
>combine it with the recursive array described at
>http://www.sitepoint.com/article/hierarchical-data-database/3
>(after I learn how to do it).
>
>Let me throw one more curve ball at you, though. I now
>understand that I can't combine my primary key with
>the field Name, like 8leo. But do you know if I could
>combine numerals from this "tree traversal" script
>with Name?
>
>Here's why numerals appeal to me. If I combine fields
>like Name/Parent ID - e.g. leo/Pan, then it will be
>more difficult when I want to separate them. If I
>combine Name with a numeral - e.g. leo/8 - then all I
>need is a script that weeds out all numerals. I think.
>
>Does this make sense?
>
>Thanks.

>http://mail.yahoo.com

All you need is one ID to identify anything in there.  No need to
combine anything .  Keep it simple.

--
http://www.douglassdavis.com

Thread
Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom24 Aug
  • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneEnrique Sanchez Vela24 Aug
  • Re: Treating Two Fields Like Onedouglass_davis24 Aug
    • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom24 Aug
      • Re: Treating Two Fields Like Onedouglass_davis24 Aug
        • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom24 Aug
  • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OnePeter Brawley24 Aug
    • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom24 Aug
    • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom24 Aug
      • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneSGreen24 Aug
        • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom24 Aug
      • Re: Treating Two Fields Like OnePeter Brawley24 Aug
RE: Treating Two Fields Like OneGordon Bruce24 Aug
Re: Treating Two Fields Like OneDavid Blomstrom25 Aug
  • Re: Treating Two Fields Like Onedouglass_davis25 Aug