List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn van den Burg Date:August 19 2005 1:56pm
Subject:RE: Phantom UDP traffic kills performance
View as plain text
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

> MySQL itself doesn't generate UDP traffic (the protocol runs
> over TCP/IP). However, MySQL relies on DNS unless you've specified
> - --skip-name-resolve when you started the server. DNS
> travels over UDP.

I did not specify --skip-name-resolve.

> You also mention you're using a NetAPP. NFS (unless you tell
> it to run over TCP/IP) also uses UDP. If you didn't upgrade
> MySQL, and only the filer and the filesystem, I would start
> looking at _that_.

I am suspecting NetApp, but I fail to understand in which way I should
upgrade MySQL. I mean: we were already running it with the data /on/
NetApp, it was merely a NetApp patch that was applied.

> If you can rule out the NetAPP filesystem
> generating more UDP traffic, then look for DNS issues. Did
> your "OS boys" look at the destination for these packets
> (port # and host), as that would tell you a _lot_ about why
> they're being sent.

I guess that would include the IP address of the DNS server. I'll see if
that brings me any further.

Regards,

Martijn

--
The information contained in this communication and any attachments is confidential and
may be privileged, and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized