List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jasper Bryant-Greene Date:August 18 2005 2:53am
Subject:Re: INSERT record IF NOT EXISTS?
View as plain text
Daevid Vincent wrote:
> Does mySQL have a way to INSERT a new record if one doesn't exist (based
> upon primary compound key)?
>
> I see this "EXISTS" but not an example of how to use it with INSERT.
>
> I see "INSERT... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE col_name=expr" which is very close,
> but I want it to do nothing on duplicate key. :(

Why not just make the key unique? Then the insert won't work if the
value already exists for that key.

Jasper
Thread
INSERT record IF NOT EXISTS?Daevid Vincent18 Aug
Re: INSERT record IF NOT EXISTS?Jasper Bryant-Greene18 Aug
Re: INSERT record IF NOT EXISTS?Paul DuBois18 Aug
Re: INSERT record IF NOT EXISTS?Steve Edberg18 Aug