List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bruce Dembecki Date:August 16 2005 7:34pm
Subject:Re: cannot drop database
View as plain text
On Aug 15, 2005, at 5:07 AM, Logan, David (SST - Adelaide) wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> If you are running unix (or variants thereof), you can go to the
> data directory and remove it at the operating system level if the
> mysql client can't do it. Not sure about windows though but I would
> think the same thing would apply.
>
> If you do that and then do a show databases, it should be gone.

David is right in that once you do this it won't show in the show
databases list any more, but if you use a data engine that stores
data in a shared table space (such as InnoDB to name one) doing this
deletes the database as far as MySQL is concerned, but the data is
still sitting in the shared spaces with no practical way of getting
it out and freeing your space.

The correct way will be to make sure you enclose the database name in
backticks as previously mentioned in this thread.

Best Regards, Bruce