List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:August 16 2005 2:10pm
Subject:Re: now i am getting confused (i could not think of a better title)
View as plain text
Peter

/>How do i go about saving data to multiple tables from
 >one entry form or should this happen automatically
/
If the model is that a user can have radios which in turn can have
events, you need a userid column in users and radios, and a radioid
column in radios and events. You need to read a bit about relational
design (eg
http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch01.html). To
add a user, a radio and an event, save the user info, get the user id
from that insert, save the radio info, get back the radioid from that
insert, then save the event info. To add a radio, retrieve the userid
from the user's input and offer the user a blank radio form. And so on.

PB

-----

Peter Nikolic wrote:

>Hi folks
>
>I have several small data bases running on mysql 4.1.13 no problem brought a
>book read it yes well
>
>i have a data base consisting of 3 tables  , radios , users , events
>
>radios contains 4 fields   csgn , setid , sernum cmmnts. this is populated and
>is more a lookup table for the radio info
>
>then there is events this contains 5 fields    evnt , eloc , edate ,
>cllct_date  , rtn_date
>
>and lastly  users  this contains 6 fields     sur_nme , fr_name , ph_w ,
>ph_h , ph_m , addrss
>
>Using knoda (part of kde) i have created an form that looks all very nice (to
>me )  the selection of the radio works  enters the right info into the form
>i can enter users data  and event data but when i try to save the data and
>insert a new row i am unable to  my question is
>
>How do i go about saving data to multiple tables from one entry form or should
>this happen automatically
>
>The book i purchased "Beggining SQL" i did not find any help at all  i could
>not find anything on mysql in my local store or a bit further out
>
>any help pointers much appreaceted
>

>Thanks Pete .

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.9/72 - Release Date: 8/14/2005
Thread
now i am getting confused (i could not think of a better title)Peter Nikolic16 Aug
  • Re: now i am getting confused (i could not think of a better title)Peter Brawley16 Aug