List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Gifford Date:August 15 2005 8:21pm
Subject:Re: Native XML Support
View as plain text
Scott Klarenbach <doyouunderstand@stripped> writes:

> Does MySQL 5 provide native XML support?  ie, can I have a stored
> procedure return an XML string instead of a recordset?  Can I pass in
> an XML string/doc and have the DB update relational tables based on
> it?

MyXML is supposed to help with this sort of thing:

    http://tangent.org/index.pl?lastnode_id=478&node_id=388

though I haven't used it.

As far as I know, MySQL doesn't support XML as a native datatype, and
doesn't support indexing XML documents directly; you have to treat
them as BLOBs or TEXT fields, and extract and index the various fields
yourself.

Probably what you want to do is implement this at the application
layer: convert an XML document into one or more SQL queries, and
convert SQL rows into XML documents.  The other option is using a
database other than MySQL which has native XML support.

----ScottG.

Thread
Native XML SupportScott Klarenbach15 Aug
  • Re: Native XML SupportMartijn Tonies15 Aug
    • Re: Native XML SupportBastian Balthazar Bux15 Aug
  • Re: Native XML SupportScott Gifford15 Aug
  • Re: Native XML SupportMartijn Tonies15 Aug