List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bruce Dembecki Date:August 14 2005 4:45am
Subject:Re: Character Set Question
View as plain text
Need more information... what exactly is "Our older version", and
what exactly is "the newest version of MySql", without this it's hard
to know what issues you may be facing... I imagine you are on 4.0.n
for the old and 4.1.n for the new... but we can't really tell from
the information you gave us.

When you run mysqldump you get an output file with everything in
it... I suggest running mysqldump --tab=/var/tmp/somedirectory which
will create a series of files in the location you specify, with
a .sql file for each table with the create table command, and a .txt
file for each table with the data in tab delimited format. This gives
you an easy way to edit the create table statements to make sure each
table has the character set information you really want in it before
you import the data. Then you can do the import using cat *sql |
mysql database to create the tables, and run mysqlimport against
the .txt files to insert the data. Using this process you can more
precisely manage your tables so they have the right character set for
each column... you can do it by editing your regular mysqldump output
file, but it's a big file and this way is just easier... it's also
quicker to do the import this way.

Be sure to dump the old database using the old mysqldump, that way if
there was no character set information it won't put something in
there by mistake (the new mysqldump could insert something of it's
choosing if there is nothing defined)... be sure to use the new mysql
client and mysqlimport to insert the data into the new version,
making sure to use an appropriate --default-character-set setting
each time you call it.

Best Regards, Bruce