List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From: douglass_davis Date:August 12 2005 8:27pm
Subject:spatial extensions - SRID
View as plain text
To the powers that be: Can we get a MySql GIS/spatial list??   This is
going to be a very popular area (actually it is already).

I am trying to use the Spatial extensions to MySql.  To be honest
PostGIS has many more features, but MySql is my favorite, and on top of
that, the applications I am using only work with MySql.

My problem is this.  From the manual, all Geometry contains:

Its SRID, or Spatial Reference Identifier. This value identifies the
geometry's associated Spatial Reference System that describes the
coordinate space in which the geometry object is defined.

In MySQL, the SRID value is just an integer associated with the geometry
value. All calculations are done assuming Euclidean (planar) geometry.

This is a big issue.  Will this be the same in version 5?  Or will the
SRIDs actually be used?   I would like to just represent everything in
lat/lon, not on a planar surface.   Now, if the SRIDs are used in MySql
5, where is the list of acceptable values?

Also, to developers on the list: perhaps it would be better if these
were text values like  'NAD83'??

--
http://www.douglassdavis.com

Thread
spatial extensions - SRIDdouglass_davis12 Aug
  • Re: spatial extensions - SRIDPaul DuBois13 Aug
    • Re: spatial extensions - SRIDdouglass_davis13 Aug
      • RE: spatial extensions - SRIDAndras Kende14 Aug
Re: spatial extensions - SRIDPeter Brawley14 Aug
RE: spatial extensions - SRIDSGreen15 Aug