List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Arno Coetzee Date:August 12 2005 6:37am
Subject:Re: Best practices for deleting and restoring records - moving vs
flagging
View as plain text
Saqib Ali wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>What are best practices for deleting records in a DB. We need the
>ability to restore the records.
>
>Two obvious choices are:
>
>1) Flag them deleted or undeleted
>2) Move the deleted records to seperate table for deleted records.
>
>We have a  complex schema. However the the records that need to be
>deleted and restored reside in 2 different tables (Table1 and Table2).
>
>Table2 uses the primary key of the Table1 as the Foriegn key. The
>Primary key for Table1 is auto-generated. This make the restoring with
>the same primary key impossible, if we move deleted data to a
>different table. However if we just flag the record as deleted the
>restoring is quite easy.
>
>Any thoughts/ideas ?

There are pros and cons to both ways.(As you pointed out with moving the
records to another table)

I allways prefer flagging the records. The draw back with flagging the
records is that you might sacrifice some speed(depends on the number of
records in the table.) If the table does not grow that fast most def
just flag the records as deleted.

my2c worth

--
Arno Coetzee
Developer

Thread
Best practices for deleting and restoring records - moving vs flaggingSaqib Ali11 Aug
  • Re: Best practices for deleting and restoring records - moving vsflaggingNuno Pereira11 Aug
  • Re: Best practices for deleting and restoring records - moving vsflaggingArno Coetzee12 Aug
  • Re: Best practices for deleting and restoring records - moving vsflaggingBastian Balthazar Bux12 Aug
    • Re: Best practices for deleting and restoring records - moving vsflaggingArno Coetzee12 Aug