List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:August 8 2005 8:00pm
Subject:Re: Query HELP!
View as plain text
Miles,

IS the following query counting cumulative (see below **) pHITS or is
it counting individual counts for each user for a particular day.  Im
not skilled enough to answer this question myself.  My instinct says
that its counting cumulative values and NOT individual counts for  each
property name.

SELECT
  search_members.Property_Name AS pNAME,
  search_members.Property_Email AS pEMAIL,
  MAX(user_count.u_datetime) AS pDATE,
  COUNT(user_count.u_userid) AS pHITS
FROM search_members
  INNER JOIN user_count ON  search_members.Property_ID =
user_count.u_userid
GROUP BY pNAME, pEMAIL, search_members.Property_ID
ORDER BY pDATE DESC

Is that query a bit confused, or is it me? If there's just one
Property_Name and one Property_Email per property_Id in the
search_members table, there's not a need to GROUP BY pname and pemail,
and the query seems intended to return the latest user_count.u_datetime
and the count of non-null values of user_count.u_userids for every
search_members.property_Id. If there can be multiple names & emails per
property_ID, the query will break down the counts by name, email then
property_id, which would seem bizarre :-) .

PB