List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:August 4 2005 1:33pm
Subject:Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQL
View as plain text
It's only known in certain circles and it's only useful as an educational
tool. What it is: Northwind is a small, populated, relational database for
a fictional trading company that MS uses as an example database in several
layers of training documentation. If you have never used any of the MS
database products (MS Access, MS SQL Server, ...) then you would not have
encountered this database. It is created during most installs, much like
the `test` database in MySQL except `Northwind` already has data in it.

Since so many people need so much help to understand how to use the MS
database products, there is a lot of "training" material both "in the
wild" and on the various MS sites. Because it was beyond the scope of most
of the lessons to also teach the users how to create tables and enter test
data, much of that educational material references a common database that
nearly all users of those products should have by default.

You are right, it is not particularly related to MySQL except as a
possible training aid. Newbies can load the Northwind data and practice
translating queries from T-SQL (MS SQL SERVER) or Access-SQL (MS Access)
into standard SQL (MySQL and others)  to make the examples work. Depending
on what version of MySQL they are using, some of the elements in the
Northwind database will not be supported (Views &Stored Procedures, to
name two). But as a "well known" set of data, it still has some
educational value as many of the query patterns they teach will translate
directly to MySQL uses.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

Enrique Sanchez Vela <esanchezvela@stripped> wrote on 08/04/2005 08:58:48
AM:

> I ran a quick search on google regarding the NothWind
> Database or schema, but I did not run across anything
> that would explain what it is and what it is used for,
> however, it seems to be a pretty useful and known one.
>
> I would appeciate insight on this.
>
> thanks
> esv.
>
> ps. I think it would be more appropiate to reply
> privately to me, since this does not seem to be
> particulary related to MySQL.
>
> thanks again.
>
> --- "J. David Boyd" <david@stripped> wrote:
>
> > Peter Brawley <peter.brawley@stripped> writes:
> >
> > > Scott,

> > Northwind that I can use to play
> > MySQL by default for newbies
> > >
> > > For our chapters on Connector/ODBC and dotNet,
> > Arthur & I wrote scripts to
> > > create MySQL versions of the NW schema ...
> > >

> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1_appe.html
> > (InnoDB)
> > > and
> >
> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1_appe.html#11-2
> > > (MyISAM).  If you like, I'll email you the SQL
> > script for populating the
> > > tables.
> > >
> > > PB
> > >

> > I would like to see these scripts as well.  Can you
> > please post them
> > somewhere, or mail them to me as well?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > --
> >
> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1
> >

> Enrique Sanchez Vela
> email: esanchezvela@stripped

> It's often easier to fight for one's        ||    We live in the
> outer space
> principles than to live up to them        ||    Rev. Kay Greenleaf
> Adlai Stevenson                                ||

Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLScott Hamm29 Jul
  • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLPeter Brawley29 Jul
  • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQL(J. David Boyd)2 Aug
    • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLEnrique Sanchez Vela4 Aug
      • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLScott Hamm4 Aug
      • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLSGreen4 Aug
        • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLScott Hamm4 Aug
    • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLHarald Fuchs5 Aug
  • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLJeremy Cole13 Aug
Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLNestor Florez2 Aug
Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLmos4 Aug
  • Re: Database equivalent to NorthWind for M$ SQLScott Hamm4 Aug