List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ben Clewett Date:July 29 2005 3:23pm
Subject:Re: Complete server lock
View as plain text

Thank for the reference.  This is useful.

Michael Stassen wrote:
> Ben Clewett wrote:
>> JamesDR wrote:
>>> I noticed, on my Linux server, that MySQL makes a DNS lookup anyway.
>>> Even if the IP is used or not. It normally digs on the PTR record. I
>>> had all of my perms IP based, however, it still looked at the PTR
>>> record. At the time I hadn't set any up in my DNS server. After I
>>> added all the PTR records of the clients that were connecting to the
>>> server, it was fast again.
>>> ...Something to think about...
>> James, I think you've found the problem.  For the benefit of us
>> novices, what is the PTR record?  After which I can add this to my
>> /etc/hosts, which should help.
>> If there is anybody who knows how to build a DNS clean MySQL, I would
>> be very interested in knowing.
>> Regards,
>> Ben Clewett.
>  From the manual <>, "You can
> disable DNS hostname lookups by starting mysqld with the
> --skip-name-resolve option. However, in this case, you can use only IP
> numbers in the MySQL grant tables."

Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
  • Re: Complete server lockJigal van Hemert29 Jul
    • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
      • Re: Complete server lockJamesDR29 Jul
        • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
          • Re: Complete server lockMichael Stassen29 Jul
            • Re: Complete server lockBen Clewett29 Jul
          • RE: Complete server lockDaniel2 Aug